Choosing the right golf shaft can have a significant impact on your game. As a player, you need to carefully consider the shafts’ performance, feel, and characteristics to find the perfect fit for your swing. Two popular options in the golf shaft market are the KBS Tour V and the KBS Tour S Taper. This article will provide a comprehensive comparison between these two shaft models, helping you make an informed decision for your game.
KBS Tour V Golf Shaft
The KBS Tour V is a lightweight steel shaft designed to provide players with increased ball speed, optimal trajectory control, and tight dispersion. It is an ideal choice for golfers who prefer a stable and smooth feel throughout their swing.
Key features of the KBS Tour V:
- Lightweight design: The Tour V is lighter than the KBS Tour and KBS Tour 90 shafts, making it easier for players to generate faster swing speeds.
- Mid-high launch: This shaft is designed to produce a mid-high launch angle, offering a balance between distance and control.
- Tight dispersion: The Tour V provides excellent shot consistency and accuracy, making it a top choice for players looking to improve their game.
- Smooth feel: The KBS Tour V delivers a smooth and stable feel throughout the swing, which can help boost player confidence.
- Progressive weight design: The shaft’s weight increases progressively as the flex becomes stiffer, providing optimal performance for each flex option.
KBS Tour S Taper Golf Shaft
The KBS Tour S Taper is a performance-oriented steel shaft that offers a unique combination of feel and shot control. This shaft is designed to cater to players who want to maximize their shot-making ability without sacrificing feel.
Key features of the KBS Tour S Taper:
- Firmer mid-section: The S Taper has a firmer mid-section compared to the KBS Tour shaft, providing enhanced shot control and stability.
- Mid-launch: This shaft produces a mid-launch angle, allowing players to optimize trajectory for maximum distance and accuracy.
- Tapered design: The unique tapering of the shaft profile offers a smoother transfer of energy, leading to a more efficient energy release and increased ball speed.
- Enhanced feel: The S Taper’s design provides a more responsive feel, allowing players to better sense the clubhead throughout the swing.
- Versatility: This shaft is suitable for a wide range of players, from amateurs to professionals, due to its combination of control, feel, and performance.
While both the KBS Tour V and S Taper shafts offer excellent performance, they cater to different player preferences and swing characteristics. The Tour V is an excellent choice for golfers seeking a lighter shaft with a smooth feel and a mid-high launch. In contrast, the S Taper is ideal for players looking for enhanced control, a more responsive feel, and a mid-launch angle.
|KBS Tour V||X||X||X||X|
|KBS S Taper||X||X||X||X|
Note: The X’s indicate which weight options are available for each shaft type. The KBS Tour V is not available in a 135g option.
|KBS Tour V||X||X||X|
|KBS S Taper||X||X||X|
Note: Both shaft types are available in Regular (R), Stiff (S), and Extra Stiff (X) flex options.
Launch and Spin comparison
|KBS Tour V||Mid-High||Mid|
|KBS S Taper||Mid||Low-Mid|
Note: The launch and spin characteristics are based on general tendencies and may vary depending on swing and clubhead characteristics.
|KBS Tour V||2.9°||2.9°||2.9°||2.9°|
|KBS S Taper||2.0°||2.0°||2.0°||2.0°||2.0°|
Note: Torque is the degree of twisting in the shaft during the swing. A lower torque generally leads to a more stable and consistent ball flight.
|Shaft Type||Price Range (USD)|
|KBS Tour V||$40-50|
|KBS S Taper||$50-60|
Note: Prices are approximate and may vary depending on the retailer and specific weight and flex options.
Length comparison between KBS Tour V and KBS S Taper shafts
|KBS Tour V||43.5″||43.5″||43.5″||43.5″|
|KBS S Taper||37.5″ – 41.5″||37.5″ – 41.5″||37.5″ – 41.5″||37.5″ – 41.5″|
Note: The KBS S Taper shafts are available in a range of lengths depending on the weight and flex options.
Material comparison between KBS Tour V and KBS S Taper shafts
|KBS Tour V||Steel|
|KBS S Taper||Steel|
Note: Both shaft types are made of steel.
Tip comparison between KBS Tour V and KBS S Taper shafts
|Shaft Type||Tip Size (in)|
|KBS Tour V||0.355|
|KBS S Taper||0.355|
Note: Both shaft types have a tip size of 0.355 inches, which is the most common size for iron shafts.
|KBS Tour V||Designed to provide a penetrating ball flight with a smooth feel and excellent distance control.|
|KBS S Taper||Designed for players who prefer a more aggressive and stable feel with a lower launch and spin for maximum control.|
Note: Performance characteristics are based on general tendencies and may vary depending on swing and clubhead characteristics.
|Shaft Type||Professional Player Usage|
|KBS Tour V||Used by players such as Justin Rose, Matt Kuchar, and Brandt Snedeker.|
|KBS S Taper||Used by players such as Rory McIlroy, Justin Thomas, and Jon Rahm.|
Note: This table highlights some of the professional players who have used each shaft type, but individual preferences may vary.
When deciding between the KBS Tour V and S Taper golf shafts, consider your swing style, performance goals, and personal preferences. Test both shafts to determine which one feels more comfortable and provides the desired ball flight characteristics. Ultimately, the right choice will depend on your unique swing dynamics and performance expectations.