Putting a snowmobile engine in a golf cart can be a fun and exciting project for those who love tinkering with machines. While the process can be challenging, it is not impossible. Here are some steps to guide you through the process:
- Remove the existing engine: The first step is to remove the existing engine from the golf cart. This may involve disconnecting fuel lines, electrical connections, and other components.
- Get the right snowmobile engine: To put a snowmobile engine in a golf cart, you will need to find the right engine that fits your cart’s size and weight. Look for an engine that is similar in size and power to your golf cart’s original engine.
- Modify the engine mounting: Snowmobile engines are designed to be mounted in a different way than golf cart engines. You will need to modify the engine mounting to fit your golf cart. This may involve welding or fabricating new mounts.
- Adapt the drive system: Snowmobile engines use a different type of drive system than golf carts. You will need to adapt the drive system to fit the new engine. This may involve installing a new clutch, chain, and sprockets.
- Modify the exhaust system: Snowmobile engines have a different exhaust system than golf carts. You will need to modify the exhaust system to fit your golf cart. This may involve welding or fabricating a new exhaust pipe.
- Install the new engine: Once you have modified the engine mounting, drive system, and exhaust system, you can install the new engine in the golf cart. Make sure that all connections are secure and that the engine is properly aligned.
- Test the engine: After installing the new engine, you should test it to ensure that it is running properly. Start the engine and let it run for a few minutes. Check for any leaks or unusual sounds.
- Modify the cooling system: Snowmobile engines use a liquid cooling system, while most golf cart engines are air-cooled. You will need to modify the cooling system to fit your golf cart. This may involve installing a radiator, water pump, and hoses.
- Upgrade the electrical system: Snowmobile engines require a higher voltage electrical system than golf carts. You will need to upgrade the electrical system to ensure that the engine is getting enough power. This may involve installing a higher capacity battery, alternator, and wiring.
- Upgrade the brakes: Snowmobile engines are more powerful than most golf cart engines, so you will need to upgrade the brakes to ensure that you can stop safely. This may involve installing larger brake drums or disks and upgrading the brake pads.
- Consider the weight distribution: Snowmobile engines are heavier than most golf cart engines, so you will need to consider the weight distribution of your cart. You may need to add weight to the front of the cart to balance the weight of the new engine.
- Get professional help: If you are not experienced with engine modifications, it is recommended to seek professional help. A mechanic or experienced technician can provide guidance and ensure that the modifications are done correctly.
Golf Cart Models Compatible with Snowmobile Engines
|Golf Cart Model||Manufacturer||Compatible Snowmobile Engine Types||Required Modifications||Cost of Modifications ($)|
|Club Car Precedent||Club Car||2-Stroke, 4-Stroke||Engine mounts, clutch modification||500-1,000|
|EZ-GO TXT||EZ-GO||2-Stroke||Engine mounts, clutch modification||500-1,000|
|Yamaha G29||Yamaha||2-Stroke, 4-Stroke||Engine mounts, clutch modification||500-1,000|
|Columbia Par Car||Columbia||2-Stroke||Engine mounts, clutch modification||500-1,000|
|Tomberlin E-Merge||Tomberlin||2-Stroke, 4-Stroke||Engine mounts, clutch modification||500-1,000|
|Star EV Classic||Star EV||2-Stroke, 4-Stroke||Engine mounts, clutch modification||500-1,000|
|Polaris GEM e2||Polaris||2-Stroke, 4-Stroke||Engine mounts, clutch modification||500-1,000|
|Yamaha Drive 2||Yamaha||2-Stroke, 4-Stroke||Engine mounts, clutch modification||500-1,000|
|Bad Boy Buggies Ambush||Bad Boy Buggies||2-Stroke, 4-Stroke||Engine mounts, clutch modification||500-1,000|
|Melex Classic 36V||Melex||2-Stroke||Engine mounts, clutch modification||500-1,000|
Required Parts for Snowmobile Engine Conversion
|Part Name||Manufacturer||Price ($)||Quantity Required||Total Cost ($)|
|Engine Mounts||Jakes Golf Carts||75||2||150|
|Engine Mounts||Jakes Golf Carts||75||2||150|
|Cooling System||SPAL Automotive||150||1||150|
|Throttle Assembly||Motion Pro||50||1||50|
Steps for Snowmobile Engine Conversion
|1||Remove existing golf cart engine and any associated parts.|
|2||Install engine mounts to golf cart frame.|
|3||Mount snowmobile engine onto engine mounts.|
|4||Install clutch onto snowmobile engine output shaft.|
|5||Install belt onto clutch and golf cart transmission input shaft.|
|6||Install fuel pump and fuel lines to supply fuel to engine.|
|7||Install exhaust system to direct engine exhaust away from the golf cart.|
|8||Install carburetor and air filter to supply air to the engine.|
|9||Install wiring harness to connect engine to golf cart electrical system.|
|10||Install ignition system to provide spark to the engine.|
|11||Install cooling system to prevent engine from overheating.|
|12||Install throttle assembly to control engine speed.|
|13||Test run engine to ensure proper operation.|
|14||Make any necessary adjustments or repairs.|
|15||Enjoy the new high-powered golf cart!|
Tips and Tricks for Snowmobile Engine Conversion
|Tip 1||Make sure to choose a snowmobile engine that fits within the size and weight limits of your golf cart.|
|Tip 2||Be sure to properly install engine mounts to ensure a secure and stable engine installation.|
|Tip 3||Use high-quality parts from reputable manufacturers to ensure proper operation and reliability.|
|Tip 4||Take your time during the conversion process and double-check all connections and installations to prevent problems down the road.|
|Tip 5||Be aware of any local laws or regulations regarding modified golf carts and ensure that your new engine complies with these regulations.|
In conclusion, putting a snowmobile engine in a golf cart requires a lot of modifications and upgrades. It is important to have the right tools, knowledge, and experience to ensure that the project is done safely and correctly. With careful planning and attention to detail, you can create a unique and exciting ride that will turn heads and provide endless hours of fun.