Installing a lift kit on an EZ-GO golf cart is a popular modification that can improve the cart’s off-road capabilities and overall appearance. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to install a lift kit on an EZ-GO golf cart:
- Lift kit (make sure it is compatible with your EZ-GO golf cart model)
- Socket set
- Wrench set
- Jack stands
- Penetrating oil
- Torque wrench
- Wheel chocks
- First, ensure that the golf cart is on a level surface and apply the wheel chocks to the front wheels.
- Use a jack to lift the rear of the golf cart off the ground and place jack stands under the frame for support.
- Remove the rear wheels using a socket set and wrench.
- Spray penetrating oil on the bolts and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Remove the bolts that hold the leaf springs to the axle and remove the leaf springs.
- Install the lift kit by inserting it between the leaf springs and the axle.
- Align the holes in the lift kit with the holes in the axle and leaf springs.
- Use the provided bolts and nuts to attach the lift kit to the axle and leaf springs. Hand-tighten the bolts and nuts.
- Repeat steps 3-8 for the front wheels of the golf cart.
- Once the lift kit is installed, replace the wheels and lower the golf cart back to the ground.
- Use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts and nuts to the manufacturer’s recommended torque specifications.
- Test drive the golf cart to ensure that the lift kit is installed properly and that there are no issues with the cart’s suspension or steering.
Lift Kit Components
|Spindle lift kit||Raises front end of the golf cart||1 set||Steel||Most popular lift kit type|
|Extended A-arm kit||Provides more ground clearance and suspension travel||1 set||Steel||For larger tires and better handling|
|Drop axle lift kit||Raises the golf cart’s body||1 set||Steel||Requires new axles|
|Shock absorbers||Improve ride quality and handling||4||Steel/Aluminum||Compatible with chosen lift kit type|
|Bushings||Maintain alignment and suspension stability||1 set||Rubber/Polyurethane||Replace when installing a lift kit|
|Socket wrench set||Loosening and tightening bolts||Standard/Metric||1 set||For various bolt sizes|
|Jack stands||Support the golf cart||2-3 ton||2-4||To ensure safety while working|
|Hydraulic jack||Lift the golf cart||2-3 ton||1|
|Torque wrench||Properly torque fasteners||Standard/Metric||1||For correct torque specifications|
|Pry bar||Assist in removing components||Standard||1|
Pre-Installation Safety Measures
|1||Park on level surface||Ensure stable working environment||Always|
|2||Engage parking brake||Prevent golf cart from moving||Always|
|3||Disconnect battery||Prevent electrical accidents||Always||Both negative and positive|
|4||Use jack stands||Provide stable support for golf cart||Always||Do not rely on hydraulic jack|
|5||Wear safety glasses and gloves||Protect eyes and hands from injury||Always|
|1||Remove wheels and tires||20-30 minutes||Easy||Store in a safe location|
|2||Remove front suspension||45-60 minutes||Moderate||Follow manufacturer instructions|
|3||Install front lift kit||60-90 minutes||Moderate||Follow kit instructions carefully|
|4||Install rear lift kit||60-90 minutes||Moderate||Follow kit instructions carefully|
|5||Install upgraded shock absorbers||45-60 minutes||Moderate||Follow shock manufacturer instructions|
Post-Installation Checks and Maintenance
|Wheel alignment||Ensure proper handling and tire wear||Initial, then as needed||Adjust according to lift kit specs|
|Tire pressure||Optimize performance and tire lifespan||Monthly||Follow tire manufacturer recommendations|
It is important to note that lifting a golf cart can affect its stability and handling, so it is essential to be cautious when driving and ensure that the lift kit is installed properly. Additionally, make sure that the lift kit you choose is compatible with your EZ-GO golf cart model to ensure a proper fit.