The Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper irons are legendary in the world of golf equipment. These irons were first introduced in the 1980s and quickly gained a reputation for their exceptional feel, performance, and distinctive copper finish. In this review, we will take an in-depth look at the Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper irons, discussing their design, performance, and why they remain popular among golfers even after decades.
Design and Construction
The Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper irons feature a classic blade-style design with a thin topline and minimal offset. Here are some key aspects of their design:
Beryllium Copper Construction
- These irons are made from beryllium copper, which is known for its soft and responsive feel at impact. This material provides golfers with an unmatched level of feedback and control.
- The Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper irons have perimeter weighting, which increases forgiveness and stability on off-center hits. This design feature helps golfers maintain distance and accuracy even on mishits.
Iconic Eye 2 Sole
- The sole design of these irons features Ping’s iconic Eye 2 sole, which aids in turf interaction and prevents digging, making them suitable for a wide range of playing conditions.
The Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper irons are renowned for their performance on the golf course. Here’s what makes them stand out:
- The beryllium copper construction provides golfers with a soft, buttery feel at impact that is highly sought after by players of all skill levels.
Precision and Control
- These irons offer excellent control over ball flight and trajectory. Skilled golfers can shape shots and control distance with ease.
- Despite their classic blade design, the perimeter weighting ensures that these irons are surprisingly forgiving. They can help golfers minimize the impact of mis-hits.
- The Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper irons are versatile and can be used by golfers of various handicaps. They are equally suitable for low-handicap players looking for control and feel and mid-high handicap players seeking forgiveness.
Durability and Maintenance
One consideration with beryllium copper irons is their maintenance:
- Over time, the distinctive copper finish of these irons will develop a natural patina. Some golfers love the vintage look this imparts, while others may prefer to keep them polished.
Cleaning and Care
- Cleaning and proper care are essential to maintain the appearance and performance of these irons. Regular cleaning with a soft cloth and mild cleaning agents can help preserve their finish.
Pricing and Availability
When it comes to the Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper irons, pricing and availability can vary widely. Since they are no longer in production, you’ll need to explore the secondary market to find a set. Prices can range from affordable to premium, depending on factors like the condition of the clubs, the completeness of the set, and any historical significance attached to them.
While the Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper irons have a timeless design, some golfers may want to customize them to suit their preferences. Customization options may include:
- Replacing the grips with newer, more comfortable ones can enhance the feel and performance of these irons.
- Some golfers may opt to replace the shafts with modern options to fine-tune their ball flight and trajectory.
- Golfers who want to restore or change the appearance of these irons can consider refinishing services to maintain or modify the club’s look.
Legacy and Collectability
These irons hold a special place in golf history and are considered collectible by enthusiasts. Their unique beryllium copper construction, iconic design, and the fact that they were played by many professional golfers during their heyday contribute to their collectible status. Some golfers actively seek out Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper irons to add to their collections, appreciating them as a piece of golfing history.
|Dynamic Gold S300
|True Temper R300
|Ping ZZ Lite
|Aldila NVS 65
|Aldila VS Proto
|UST Proforce V2
|Ping TFC 189I
|Standard Length (inches)
|Length Adjustment Range (inches)
|Shiny, traditional appearance
|Sleek and modern black finish
|Durable nickel-plated finish
|Dark, distinctive finish for a unique look
|Classic bronze finish with a vintage appeal
|Elegant and premium finish with a silver tone
|Aged copper look for a rustic appearance
|Signature red dot alignment mark
|Signature white dot alignment mark
|Raw clubhead without additional finish
The Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper irons have earned their place as iconic golf clubs due to their timeless design and exceptional performance. Whether you’re a scratch golfer seeking ultimate control or a mid-handicap player looking for forgiveness, these irons have something to offer. However, it’s important to note that they are no longer in production and may be considered collectibles by some golf enthusiasts. If you have the opportunity to try them out, you’ll likely find that their feel and performance still hold up even after decades of use, making them a classic choice for golfers who appreciate the finer aspects of the game.