In the world of golf, choosing the right equipment can be crucial to improving your game. Among the various clubs available, irons play a significant role in shaping the performance of a golfer. Today, we’ll be comparing two popular iron sets: the PXG 0311P and the TaylorMade P790. Both sets have a strong following and offer exceptional performance, but they differ in terms of technology, design, and price. Let’s dive into the details of each set to help you decide which one is the right fit for your game.
PXG 0311P Irons
The PXG 0311P irons, introduced by Parsons Xtreme Golf (PXG), are known for their high-performance and sleek design. These irons are built with the following key features:
- Ultra-Thin Face: The 0311P irons come with an ultra-thin face that maximizes ball speed and distance. This feature allows golfers to achieve greater forgiveness and accuracy.
- COR2 Technology: PXG uses an advanced COR2 material in the construction of the 0311P irons. This material provides excellent vibration dampening, which leads to a soft, satisfying feel at impact.
- Tungsten Weighting: Strategically placed tungsten weights in the 0311P irons help optimize the club’s center of gravity (CG) for improved launch conditions and higher MOI (moment of inertia).
- Progressive Set Design: The set features a progressive design, with the long irons offering more forgiveness and the short irons allowing for greater workability and control.
TaylorMade P790 Irons
The TaylorMade P790 irons have gained popularity among golfers for their combination of forgiveness, distance, and playability. Some of the key features include:
- SpeedFoam Technology: TaylorMade uses SpeedFoam in the hollow body construction of the P790 irons, which provides support to the ultra-thin face while dampening vibrations for a soft feel.
- Thru-Slot Speed Pocket: The P790 irons come with a Thru-Slot Speed Pocket, which increases flexibility and promotes faster ball speeds across the entire face for enhanced forgiveness.
- Tungsten Weighting: Similar to the PXG 0311P, the P790 irons also have tungsten weights to optimize CG, resulting in better launch conditions and improved MOI.
- Forged Construction: The P790 irons feature a forged 8620 carbon steel body, which provides a premium feel and excellent durability.
- Performance: Both the PXG 0311P and TaylorMade P790 irons deliver exceptional performance, with both sets offering impressive distance, forgiveness, and feel. Golfers may find the PXG 0311P to be slightly more forgiving, while the P790 irons may provide a touch more distance and workability.
- Aesthetics: In terms of aesthetics, the PXG 0311P has a more streamlined and compact look, while the P790 irons have a slightly larger profile. This difference in appearance may affect a golfer’s preference for one set over the other.
- Price: The PXG 0311P irons tend to be more expensive than the TaylorMade P790 irons. Golfers should consider their budget when deciding between these two sets.
|Model||Clubhead Material||Face Design||Hosel||Weighting|
|0311P||Forged 8620 carbon steel||Milled Face||Adjustable||Tungsten Weights|
|P790||Forged 4140 carbon steel||SpeedFoam Insert||Standard||Tungsten Weights|
|Model||Ball Speed||Spin Rate||Launch Angle||Forgiveness||Workability|
|Model||Shaft Flex||Shaft Weight||Torque||Launch||Spin|
|0311P||Regular, Stiff, X-Stiff||115-130g||2.2°-1.8°||Mid||Low|
|P790||Regular, Stiff, X-Stiff||105-125g||2.0°-1.8°||Mid-High||Low-Mid|
|Model||Set Cost (Steel)||Set Cost (Graphite)||Price per Iron (Steel)||Price per Iron (Graphite)|
|0311P||$2,400 – $3,600||N/A||$240 – $360||N/A|
|P790||$1,399 – $1,599||$1,599 – $1,799||$139.90 – $159.90||$159.90 – $179.90|
|0311P||Low-to-mid handicap players who value workability and feel|
|P790||Mid-to-high handicap players who value distance and forgiveness|
|Model||Club Length (inches)|
|0311P||Golf Pride MCC Plus 4|
|P790||Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360|
|0311P||Custom Order Only|
|P790||Stock and Custom Order|
|0311P||Chrome, Xtreme Dark, Diamond Black, Sugar Daddy|
|0311P||3-PW, 4-PW, 5-PW, 6-PW|
|P790||3-PW, 4-PW, 5-PW|
|Model||Shaft Brand||Shaft Model|
|0311P||KBS Tour||KBS Tour 90|
|P790||True Temper||Dynamic Gold 105|
Launch and Spin
|Model||Launch and Spin|
|0311P||Mid launch, low spin|
|P790||Mid-high launch, low-mid spin|
|Model||Clubhead Size (mm)|
|0311P||77.5 – 96.5|
|P790||78 – 100|
Both the PXG 0311P and TaylorMade P790 irons offer excellent performance and appeal to a wide range of golfers. Ultimately, the decision between these two sets will come down to personal preference, budget, and the specific features that best suit your game. It’s recommended to test both sets of irons in a fitting session to better understand how they perform with your unique swing and playing style.