The Fang putter is a type of golf club that is designed specifically for putting. It features a unique head shape with two “fangs” that extend from the back of the putter, providing extra stability and alignment. The Fang putter is often used by golfers who struggle with consistency in their putting stroke or have trouble aligning their putts.
Benefits of the Fang Putter
The Fang putter offers several benefits to golfers:
- Stability: The two fangs on the back of the putter provide additional stability, making it easier for golfers to maintain a consistent stroke.
- Alignment: The fangs also serve as alignment aids, helping golfers aim their putts more accurately.
- Forgiveness: The larger head of the Fang putter offers more forgiveness on off-center hits, reducing the amount of distance and direction lost on mis-hits.
How to Use the Fang Putter
To use the Fang putter effectively, follow these steps:
- Set up properly: Position the ball in the center of your stance, with your feet shoulder-width apart and your eyes directly over the ball.
- Grip the putter: Use a standard grip, with your hands close together and your thumbs pointing straight down the grip.
- Align the fangs: Use the fangs on the back of the putter to align the clubface with your target. The fangs should be pointing towards your target line.
- Take your stroke: Use a smooth, pendulum-like stroke, keeping your wrists firm and your arms and shoulders relaxed.
- Follow through: Allow the putter to continue moving after contact with the ball, following through towards your target.
Choosing the Right Fang Putter
When choosing a Fang putter, consider the following factors:
- Length: Choose a putter length that feels comfortable and allows you to maintain good posture and alignment.
- Head weight: Consider the weight of the putter head, as a heavier head may provide more stability and consistency.
- Grip style: Choose a grip style that feels comfortable and allows you to maintain a light grip pressure.
- Personal preference: Ultimately, the best Fang putter for you will be one that feels comfortable and gives you confidence on the green.
History of the Fang Putter
The Fang putter was first introduced by the golf equipment manufacturer, Odyssey, in 2013. It was designed by Odyssey’s chief designer, Austie Rollinson, who was inspired by the stability provided by a mallet-style putter. Rollinson experimented with different head shapes and eventually came up with the Fang design, which featured two fangs on the back of the putter to provide extra stability and alignment. The Fang putter quickly gained popularity among both amateur and professional golfers, and it is now a popular choice on the PGA Tour.
Types of Fang Putters
There are several different types of Fang putters available, each with its own unique features and benefits. Some popular models include:
- Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 Fang Putter: This model features a multi-layer insert for a soft feel, as well as adjustable weights to customize the feel and balance of the putter.
- TaylorMade Spider Tour Black Putter: This model features a lightweight aluminum frame and a pure roll insert to improve ball speed and accuracy.
- PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Putter: This model features a milled face for improved consistency, as well as adjustable shaft length to customize the fit and feel of the putter.
Pros and Cons of the Fang Putter
Like any golf club, the Fang putter has its pros and cons. Some of the advantages of the Fang putter include:
- Improved stability and alignment
- More forgiveness on mis-hits
- Customizable weights and inserts for a personalized feel
Some of the disadvantages of the Fang putter include:
- Some golfers may find the fang design distracting or cumbersome
- The larger head may not be suitable for golfers with a more traditional putting stroke
Fang Putter Specifications
|Model||Length||Loft||Lie Angle||Head Weight|
Fang Putter Features
|Model||Toe Hang||Face Balanced||Hosel Type||Grip|
|Fang 1||Moderate||No||Single Bend||Winn|
|Fang 2||Moderate||No||Single Bend||SuperStroke|
|Fang 3||Moderate||No||Single Bend||Lamkin|
|Fang 4||High||Yes||Double Bend||Golf Pride|
|Fang 5||High||Yes||Double Bend||Odyssey|
Fang Putter Performance
|Model||Sweet Spot Size||Roll||Forgiveness||Alignment Aid|
|Fang 1||Medium||Good||High||Dual Fangs|
|Fang 2||Medium||Good||High||Dual Fangs|
|Fang 3||Medium||Good||High||Dual Fangs|
|Fang 4||Large||Great||Very High||Dual Fangs|
|Fang 5||Large||Great||Very High||Dual Fangs|
The Fang putter is a unique and effective tool for golfers looking to improve their putting consistency and accuracy. By using the fangs on the back of the putter to align their putts and provide extra stability, golfers can improve their putting stroke and lower their scores on the course.